Thursday 29 January 2009

Flickr Best Friends

f
So you like someone's Flickr photostream. You make them a contact.

Then what?

One of the best and most addictive qualities of Flickr is the opportunity to build up a lasting relationship with some of your contact. Not all - some will fall by the wayside, some will prove to be disloyal, but some will prove to be great and enduring friends.

So how do you make yourself the kid on the Flickr block that everyone wants to be friends with? Well, everyone will have their own answer. Here's a few ideas that might help you on your way.

1. Follow their photostream.

I keep a shortcuts list of favourite Flickr contacts. After I've logged in, I drop in on some of my favourites and scroll through their latest. On Firefox, I simply bookmark any Flickr photostream I want to return to again and again and add it to my "Flickr Fave's" folder. I'll try and comment / fave any pics that take my fancy.

2. Be quick to comment

Whilst online I have FlickrFox running in a banner on my screen. This banner keeps me updated of any new uploads by my Flickr Contacts. Its means I've always got fresh images in front of me. But, more importantly, I can instantly respond to a picture I love the look of. Its like getting an instant reminder from my contacts that their picture is special.

3. Return comments

People in the Flickr community (almost) all love a comment on their image. Funny, constructive, encouraging or wise is best - but hey, even a "Nice!" is better than nothing.

The method I use to reply is as follows: View one of my recent images, Open a new tab (in Firefox) for every person who's dropped me a message, and then check out each photostream in turn. The advantages of this method are a. Its quick, b. its complete.

4. Drop them a message

There's something really special about getting a direct message. I will message people if they ask me a question, if I'd like to know how they achieved a shot, or to thank them for their support and communication. I don't message every day, but that makes it more special.

5. Giving is better than receiving

I have contacts that I view religiously but they never return to my site. Do I care. Hell, no. If I love their pictures, I'm going to tell them. And if they don't love mine, or don't visit, or maintain radio silence, I don't mind. They didn't force me to comment - so I try to have no expectations in return.

With the right approach, you can find some regular, loyal contacts who'll share their ideas and views, suggestions and photos for months/years to come. Have fun and feel free to visit me - user name doug88888


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

No comments:

Post a Comment