Tuesday 27 January 2009

Clear space clear mind - Office desk tip

I'm the sort of person who could never keep my desk tidy. There were always piles of paper, lunch, post-its, staplers, books strewn across my workspace. I had concluded that I was "Just not a tidy person" and never would be.

I was wrong. I was just trying to achieve the world rather than moving one step at a time.

I picked up a simple piece of advice to follow:

Don't try to keep you whole office tidy. Pick one small area, and focus on keeping it clear at all times.

Simple.

This could be one part of your desk if you are open plan. If you have an office, how about the spare table in the corner. Anywhere will do, but ideally it will be a place that you can look at from where you sit.

Follow this piece of advice and things start to happen:

First, whenever you feel out of control or manic at work, look at your tidy space. This alone is often enough to clear your mind for a moment - you are in control of this space.

Second, you realise that this kind of discipline (and it is a discipline) is achievable. Actually, if you can achieve this simple objective how many more simple steps can you take in making your work life more organised and controlled.

Third, people might start to comment on your new found control. This is a really visible way to change how people in the office perceive you. You could even try telling some people what you are trying to do and ask them to point out to you if they spot your tidy space messy. This adds to the fun as you try to outsmart them, and maybe they'll adopt the practice too.

Lastly, you might find that that small tidy area begins to grow as you tend it and take pride in it. Next thing you know, you've started tidying that shelf above your desk too. Then the area by the printer. Before for you know it, your whole desk may be tidy and in control.

Having a tidy space helped me get control of my work life. You can adopt it as part of a continuous improvement in your approach to work.

It worked for me - give it a try and let me know if it works for you too?


5 comments:

  1. I liked it, you can find more Office Desks from spacify.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea, but are we sure that 8 hrs. a day of walking is the solution to losing weight? I would like to see some information on how long it would take reach that level of exercise and what you would wear to the office while doing so.

    Height Adjustable Desks

    ReplyDelete
  3. this blog is very nice.thanks for our sharing.we also provide Office Furniture Solutions is female owned and operated. We have a combined 41 years experience selling office furniture and workstations in the South Florida market. Our client list includes top corporate businesses, the local business owner and the homeowner looking for an office desk and chair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is highly informatics, crisp and clear. I think that everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things.office furniture for sale in Jacksonville

    ReplyDelete